- 5G is the next technological frontier. Digital Transformation through 5G will fundamentally impact other national Mission Mode projects. 5G will provide a new dimension to the Digital India, Smart Cities & Smart Village missions. 5G has potentially large contributions to Make in India and Start-Up India missions. The objective is to position India as a globally synchronized participant in the Design, Development, and Manufacturing of 5G based technology, products, and applications.
- In order to steer 5G India 2020, a High-Level Forum has been constituted vide OM No. No 6-33/2017 –IC dated 22nd September 2017 with the following Members: -
S. No. Name / Designation 1 Secretary, DoT Chairperson 2 Secretary, MeitY Co-Chairperson 3 Secretary, D/o Science & Technology Co-Chairperson 4 Member (Technology), DoT Member 5 Additional Secretary, DoT Member 6 Sr. DDG (TEC), DoT Member 7 Wireless Advisor, DoT Member 8 Dr. A. Paulraj, Professor Emeritus, Stanford University, USA Member 9 Mr. Gururaj Deshpande - Chairman of Sycamore Networks, Sandstone, USA Member 10 Prof Bhaskar Ramamurthy – Director, IIT Madras Member 11 Prof Abhay Karandikar – IIT Mumbai & Chairman, TSDSI Member 12 Prof Uday Desai –Director, IIT Hyderabad Member 13 Prof Anurag Kumar – Director, IISc Bengaluru Member 14 Prof Ramgopal Rao – Director, IIT Delhi Member 15 Mr. Sanjay Mashruwala - MD, Reliance Jio Member 16 Mr. Gopal Vittal – MD & CEO Bharti Airtel Limited & Chairman, COAI Member 17 Mr. Ashwani K Aggarwal – Chairman, IESA Member 18 Mr. Ananth Krishnan, CTO, TCS Member 19 ED, C-DoT Member 20 DDG(NT), DoT Member 21 DDG(Security-Assurance), DoT Member 22 DDG(IC), DoT Member Secretary 23 Mr. Anupam Shrivastava, CMD, BSNL Member 24 Mr. T. V. Ramachandran, President, Broadband India Forum MemberChairperson may co-opt any expert as deemed necessary.Member at Sl.No 23 & 24 included vide OM of even number dated 31st October 2017
- The Term of Reference of the High-Level Forum for 5G India 2020 shall be: -
- Vision Mission and Goals for the 5G India 2020, and
- Evaluate, approve roadmaps & action plans for 5G India 2020.
The International Cooperation (IC) Division of DoT along with TCOE India (a PPP of Government, Academia, and Industry) will service the Forum. The Forum may constitute Steering Committees of Members for various domains. The Forum shall finalize the Report on 5G Vision, Mission, and Goals by March 2018.
This is issued with the approval of Hon’ble Minister of Communications.