About TCOE India
Who We Are
Telecom Centres of Excellence, set up in Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode, are an example of the Government, the Academia and the Industry working together for the sustained growth and progress of the country in the Telecom sector. The idea of Telecom Centres of Excellence was initiated with the shared realization, by the Government and the Telecom Industry, that boosting the growth of telecommunications was essential for the overall progress of the country. It was conceptualized in May 2007 and brought into existence by February 2008 with the signing of 7 MoUs between DoT, participating premier Academic Institutes and the sponsors from the Telecom Industry. The eighth TCOE with participation of Railtel came up in Jun 5th 2013.The TCOEs set up in Public Private Partnership (PPP) mode, are an excellent example of the Government, the Academia and the Industry working together for the sustained growth and progress of the country.
The eight largest Telco’s have joined the initiative as Principal Sponsors. The pairing and focus areas of each centre were as follows:-
- Aircel is with TCOE at IISc Bangalore - Information security and Disaster Management of Telecom Infrastructure
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. (BSNL) is with TCOE at IIT, Kanpur - Multimedia and Telecom, Cognitive Radio and Computational Mathematics
- Bharti Airtel is with TCOE at IIT Delhi - Telecom Technology and Management
- Idea Cellular is with TCOE at IIM Ahmedabad - Telecom Policy, Regulation, Customer care
- Reliance Communications is with TCOE at IIT Madras - Telecom Infrastructure (Active and Passive) and Energy
- Tata Teleservices is with TCOE at IIT Bombay - Rural Telecom Technology
- Vodafone is with TCOE at IIT Kharagpur - Next Generation Networks and Technology
- RailTel is with TCOE at IIT Roorkee ICT and Broadband Applications
TCOEs are created for promoting development of new technologies, to generate IPRs, incubate innovations and promote entrepreneurship to position India as a global leader in telecom innovation and making India a hub of telecom equipment manufacturing.
TCOE were set up with the sole idea of promoting Research and Development and for promotion of entrepreneurship and innovation aspects in the ICT and Telecom sector. TCOEs have opened up their research platform to all the stakeholders of ICT sector for enabling industry driven research through a competitive process. For this purpose, a TCOE may have collaboration with other academic institutions and funding for the projects would be accessed from Government, industry and VCs etc. on competitive basis.
We, thus, invite budding entrepreneurs, researchers, industry and academicians to be a part of TCOE India initiative for Research & Development of application oriented marketable technologies by sharing their research interests and projects. The ideas/projects would be evaluated in confidence and data security would be adhered to by circulation among the TCOEs and the Steering Committee on strictly need to know basis.